Student Exchange Programme
International students from non-partner institutions can study at UNIMAS for duration of I month, 1 or 2 semesters. Students enroll in this programme normally come for a range of personal, educational and professional reasons. Students only need to pay tuition fees and other recurrent fees. Credit is transferable and the students are more flexible in choosing their courses.
The programme aims at exposing the exchange students to different cultures and learning environments. Studying at UNIMAS will give the student the opportunity to explore the unique culture of Sarawak, as well as enhancing their academic personal experience by exposing them to the learning environment at UNIMAS, a university that is contemporary in character and forward-looking in outlook This experience will leave the students with new knowledge, cultural understanding, and having lifelong friends.
- Applicant must be a full time student who have completed at least 2 semesters or one year of study at partner universities that have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) or Memorandum of Agreement (MoA) for student exchange programme with UNIMAS.
- The application must be made by the applicant through the partner University.
- Incoming exchange students must prove that they have sufficient fund to support themselves while studying at UNIMAS.
- Incoming exchange students must abide by UNIMAS’s rules and regulations. They will be entitled to major academic resources and support services generally available to full-time students at the host institution.
- The minimum period of study is one (1) semester and the maximum period must not be more than one year or two semesters.
How to Apply
Incoming applicant must submit his/her application using UNIMAS exchange student application form.
- Approval Letter from the partner Institution/University or College.
- Passport with at least 1 year of validity.
- 3 photocopies of applicant’s passport – on A4 size paper (inclusive of hard cover and all pages).
- 3 Passport size photos (3.5x5.0 cm) – blue background.
- Reference Letter from student’s Academic Advisor supporting the application.
- Up-to-date certified academic transcript (with translation if necessary).
- Certified copy of IELTS/TOEFL/other English proficiency.
- Health Examination Report.
- Statement of Purpose defining applicant’s academic career and personal motivations for studying abroad in UNIMAS (approximately 300 words).
- Portfolio (for creative design based courses). Include slides and an academic reference authenticating work.
- Disability support details.(if applicable)
30st June every year
30th November every year
Completed application along with all required supporting documents MUST reach UNIMAS International by mail, email or fax before the application deadline.
1 Credit is equal to 40National Learning Hours
Course registration is done during the orientation week. The deadline for course registration is the last day of the orientation week.
UNIMAS is using the CGPA Grading Systems.
3rd– 6th September 2015
15th – 21st February 2016
Suggested date of arrival:
- Subject to availability. No application fee required.
- Single / twin sharing room with a common bathroom and sitting area.
- Some rooms are equipped wit hair-conditioning and hot shower.
- No cooking allowed in the room.
- Cafeterias are available in each hostel and various food outlets are located in the vicinity.
- Hostel fee:
RM15.00 – RM20.00/night (Superior)
*approximately RM240 – RM450 per month
- Dahlia Premium Block:
RM12/day (Single room without Aircond),
RM15/day (single room with air-cond)
- Exchange students may opt to rent private apartments outside campus but located within walking distance from UNIMAS.
- Student must have a valid health insurance throughout their stay in Malaysia.
- Students staying in Malaysia for more than six(6) months will be required to purchase Malaysia insurance upon their arrival.
- Insurance fee: approximately RM500 per semester.
- Students staying in Malaysia less than six(6) months are also encouraged to purchase a Malaysian Insurance.
- All international students are required to apply for student pass an d visa for the purpose of their stay in Malaysia.
- UNIMAS will assist students to apply for student pass and visa.
- Student Visa fee: RM150
- On-campus Accommodation
- Food / Meals
- Local Transportation
- Other related expenses
- Personal expenses
- Health expenses
- Other administrative fees
- Approximately RM1700 per semester (superiorroom)
- Approximately RM600 (RM20 /day, 3 meals) / month
- RM80 per month (public bus, taxi)
- RM350 (books, stationeries, etc.) per semester
- RM300 per month
- Approximately RM300 per semester
- Student Card : RM 60
Health Fee :RM 60
Student Visa Fee:RM 150
Recurrent Fee :RM 423 (1 Semester) / RM923 (2 semesters)
- Airport Reception
- Orientation programme
- Assistance on securing on-campus accommodation
- Student Visa Application
- Assistance on course registration
- International Student Association
Assoc. Prof. Dr. SoubakeavathiRethinasamy
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Tel No.:+60 82 58 1235
Mr. Thian Foong Fatt
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Tel No.: +60 82 58 1231
Letter of offer to the successful candidates will be issued by The Registrar of UNIMAS.