New International Student Application
For NEW International students.
The government has decided that effective 1st January 2014, all foreign students who have their student pass approved MUST obtain a visa to enter the country for the purpose of studying. This decision involves international students from all countries whether or not requiring a visa to enter Malaysia.
Any prospective students who wish to come and study here must obtain Visa Approval Letter before they come to Malaysia. If they come with Social Visit Pass and wish to convert it to the Student Pass, they will be asked to leave Malaysia and obtain Visa Approval Letter from the Malaysian Embassy in their respective countries.
To apply the Visa Approval Letter, you must send to IAD UNIMAS (email@example.com) the documents as listed below:
6 copies of passport photos 1 copy of passport (all printed/stamped pages except the blank pages) Health Examination Report (must use the form that is provided by IAD) Health Examination Report.pdf RM10 of stamping fee (we will pay on behalf of you and must be pay later once you have arrived in UNIMAS) Tuition Fees Official Receipt (obtainable from Centre from Graduate Studies) Copy of your offer letter
The Visa Approval Letter application will take approximately around 7 - 14 working days to be processed by the Immigration Department. Once the Visa Approval Letter issued, we will send the original to your mailing address. You are then required to submit the letter to the nearest Malaysia Embassy in your country to obtain the Single Entry Visa. Prior to your arrival in UNIMAS, you are required to submit your passport along with Student Pass fees to our office to collect your Student Pass.
- Places where foreign students are allowed to work are as follows :
- Gas Stations
- Mini Markets
- The application is submitted by a representatives of universities / colleges with the student attendance to the Immigration Headquarters or the Immigration Office of the State for the IPTA ( Public Institutions of Higher Learning. )
- Universities / colleges to provide a letter of support to allow students to work that informs the semester break dates in the letter.
- Permission to work for international students will stamped in their passport.
- Universities / colleges shall submit a list of students working and the students academic performance report every three months to the Department of Immigration.
- Permission work part time only ( semester break / holidays / vacation over (7) days ) and the period of work is no more than 20-hour work per week.
- International students are not allowed to work as a cashier at the four places mentioned above.
- Added permission to work will only be allowed if the good academic performance and good attendance is maintained.
International Student Visa Application
APPLICATION FOR A STUDENT PASS IN MALAYSIA
The government has decided that effective 1st January 2014, all foreign students who have their student pass approved MUST obtain a visa to enter the country for the purpose of studying. This decision involves international students from all countries whether or not requiring a visa to enter Malaysia.Please view the Student Pass Application Guidelines
Medical Checkup for New Student Application
International students are required to undergo a thorough medical check-up upon arrival in Malaysia. The report of this Health Examination must be submitted to the University Health Centre for endorsement prior to registration. Download the UNIMAS Health Examination Report here.
No vaccinations are required unless you have been in a yellow fever area (eg. Africa, Latin America) within the last six days. The local overall health situation is praiseworthy with the eradication of most infectious tropical diseases.If you are in doubt, please consult any physician or practitioners, available at any private clinic or government hospital. Clean and efficient clinics are found throughout Sarawak. In contrast to most western countries, your prescriptions will be given to you from any private clinic and hospital thus avoiding the trouble of going to the pharmacy to purchase your medication.
Accomodation for International Student
All students, international or local, can apply for hostel accommodation prior to or upon registering with the Centre for Graduate Studies, UNIMAS (for students at Kota Samarahan Campus only). The university provides a well-equipped international student hostel so international students can enjoy a pleasant home while staying in Malaysia. The cost is RM15 per day, inclusive of utilities such as bathroom, household appliances, cooking facilities and TV room. Please note that acceptance to any programme does not automatically entitle a student for University Accommodation.
Cost of Living in UNIMAS
Living costs will depend on your choice of accommodation and your lifestyle. It is recommended that international students allow between USD5,500 to USD6,500 a year for food, clothing, books, transport, entertainment and accommodation costs. During the first few months, you will require additional funds to cover some extra expenses, some of which are detailed below.